Monday, May 21, 2012

Review: Dead Letter Office by Kira Snyder

Dead Letter Office
(Click picture to go to Goodreads)


Dead Letter Office (Parish Mail #1)

Blurb: When Celia’s father is killed in Afghanistan, she moves with her mother to New Orleans, the city where her father grew up. Struggling to adjust and haunted by troubling dreams, Celia finds comfort in new friends like Tilly, a practicing witch, and Donovan, the son of police detective. On Halloween, bizarre supernatural occurrences rock the city. Celia meets the mysterious Luc and finds a letter, over a hundred years old, addressed to her.

The paranormal repercussions continue when Celia learns that Luc is the restless spirit of a young man murdered in 1854, only able to assume solid form at night. And then, to her shock, Celia finds that the letter, which describes the suspected murder of a man in 1870, contains uncanny parallels to the present-day death of Abel Sims, a homeless veteran.

With help from Luc, Tilly, and Donovan, Celia races to solve the murder—and the mystery of the letter—using both magical and forensic clues.

*   *   *
I received this ebook from the publisher, Coliloquy. Coliloquy is different from other publishers and gives the reader a different experience giving you an "active fiction" experience. What might that be you ask? Well it's a new way of e-reading that lets you choose the way you want the story to head. Throughout the story you are given options where you can choose what way it goes but the reader still gets the same outcome so you aren't missing anything. It's really a fun experience and this is my second book from this publisher and I will definitely be reading more from these awesome authors who have written these books! You can check out my review of Witch's Brew by Heidi R. Kling.
The book starts with Celia's fathers funeral and I hardly knew Celia but the story had me in tears reading about her dealing with her father's death. She and her mother just moved back to where her father's family is from in New Orleans and they try to make their home there. Celia soon finds a letter that is over 150 years old and with the help of a few friends and a certain handsome ghost they go on hunt to solve the murder of Abel. 
I really liked all the characters. Celia felt very real and like she could be a friend to me. Tilly made me laugh and her excitable personality was so fun. She become a big help with her witch abilities and then Donovan. Yum! Loved him but I also loved Luc. Oh and Sloan.. he was an ass but something about him made me want to hear more about him. All these boys I couldn't make up my mind. Can I have three boys pining for me please?! Haha. Kidding! 
The writing in this book flows so easily I couldn't stop reading. I read this in one sitting it was so good. I really didn't want it to end. I can't wait to see what happens next in the series. I will definitely be reading the next books! Can't wait! I give this 5/5 stars! 

No comments:

Post a Comment